Intercultural Studies and Urban Ministry
The Intercultural Studies and Urban Ministry majors at MVNU prepare students to work in cross-cultural and urban environments. These majors educate students for both ministry and non-ministry employment.
The Intercultural Studies Major is one of the largest majors in MVNU's School of Theology and Philosophy. Intercultural Studies majors will gain a fluent knowledge of Spanish and an exceptional intercultural aptitude. Students will be equipped for careers in the mission field, in local churches, in urban settings, and in a wide range of positions seeking cross-cultural and bilingual abilities.
Urban Ministry majors will benefit from hands-on preparation and training for compassionate urban living and serving giving students comprehensive practical experience. All of our faculty have served within local communities and continue to be actively involved in the church. Students will be effectively equipped for to compassionately live and serve in urban communities.
- Intercultural Studies
- Biblical and Theological Teaching Track
- Business Administration Track
- Church Ordination Track
- Communication Studies Track
- Political Science Track
- Teaching English as Second or Other Language - Modern Language Track (with English or Spanish minor)
- Urban Ministries
- Intercultural Studies
- Intercultural Studies (semester abroad option)
Dr. Matthew Price, Chair of the Intercultural Studies Program, has a B.A. in Religion from Mount Vernon Nazarene College; an M.Div. with an emphasis in Religious Education and a Master's in Missions from Nazarene Theological Seminary and a Ph.D. in Foundations of Education from the University of Kansas. He was a youth pastor for two Churches of the Nazarene and the pastor of a United Methodist Church. After serving 8 years as a missionary in Africa he became the Coordinator of the International Board of Education for the Church of the Nazarene, before resigning to teach at MVNU. Read More
Click here to see the rest of our faculty!
The MVNU Experience
The Urban Ministry program at MVNU emphasizes hands-on preparation through cross-cultural involvement to give students comprehensive practical experience. All of our faculty have served within local communities and continue to be actively involved in the church. Students will be effectively equipped for to compassionately live and serve in urban communities.
- Learning abroad – ICS students spend a semester studying in Costa Rica, resulting in a Spanish language certification, while Urban Ministry students spend a semester in an urban setting, resulting in hands-on urban experience and often a job upon graduation
- Experienced faculty – professors in Intercultural Studies have extensive international field experience in cross-cultural ministry engagement
- Flexible course load – Intercultural Studies can easily be combined with other programs for students interested in obtaining a double major; Urban Ministry fulfills requirements for ordination