Recreational Sports are a desirable part of a student's education. At Mount Vernon Nazarene University, it is our hope that through participation, individuals will develop an appreciation of this use of leisure time and a wholesome attitude toward physical activity for recreational purposes.
In the end, the intramural program strives to provide leadership, educational and healthy exercise opportunities for its participants. It is our goal that intramurals' will be used as a learning tool and a developmental resource to build character, self-discipline, and leadership qualities that are Christian based.
For schedule of seasonal intramural sports, please visit mvnu.edu/sga/intramurals/.
Eligible Intramural Participants:
- Traditional Undergraduate Students currently enrolled at Mount Vernon Nazarene University.
- Varsity & Junior Varsity Athletes (includes redshirt athletes) currently on the roster of a Mount Vernon Nazarene University Intercollegiate team. See participation rules below for Varsity & Junior Varsity restrictions on intramural teams. Once a varsity or junior varsity athlete has been removed from intercollegiate competition for one complete semester, then that student will no longer be considered a varsity or junior varsity athlete and will not be subject to the varsity & junior varsity athlete intramural restrictions.
- Traditional Undergraduate Faculty who currently teach at Mount Vernon Nazarene University. See participation rules below for Faculty restrictions on intramural teams.
- On campus staff members who currently work at Mount Vernon Nazarene University. Spouses of residential staff members are considered “staff” since they are required to live on campus. See participation rules below for staff restrictions on intramural teams.
- In any intramural season/league, all rostered players must participate in at least 25% of the regular season games to be eligible to compete in post season play.
- Varsity athletes are not allowed to participate in the same sport in intramurals, i.e. a varsity basketball player is not allowed to participate in intramural basketball.
- Varsity & junior varsity athletes, faculty and staff may participate in either “A” or “B” league.
- Roster guidelines:
- Fall Softball: A max of 4 Varsity, JV, Faculty or Staff members are allowed to play on a team.
- Fall Volleyball: A max of 2 Varsity, JV, Faculty or Staff members are allowed to play on a team.
- Fall Flag Football: A max of 3 Varsity, JV, Faculty or Staff members are allowed to play on a team.
- Fall Indoor Volleyball: A max of 2 Varsity, JV, Faculty or Staff members are allowed to play on a team.
- J-term Basketball: A max of 2 Varsity, JV, Faculty or Staff members are allowed to play on a team.
- Spring basketball: A max of 2 Varsity, JV, Faculty or Staff members are allowed to play on a team.
- Spring Soccer: A max of 2 Varsity, JV, Faculty or Staff members are allowed to play on a team.
- Spring Softball: A max of 4 Varsity, JV, Faculty or Staff members are allowed to play on a team.
Player Ejection Policy:
First Ejection: The player will miss next regular season game plus first tournament game.
Second Ejection: The Intramural Staff will review the incident and determine further consequences.
The above intramural eligibility guidelines are effective as of 1/03/08.
Seasonal Intramural Activities:
- Fall softball
- Spring softball
- Flag football
- Fall sand volleyball
- Indoor soccer
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Coed volleyball
- Corn Hole
- Homerun derby
- 3 on 3 Basketball tournament
- January basketball
- Spring basketball
- Intramural Chairperson
- Intramural Vice-Chairperson (Male & Female)
- Scorekeeper/clock/chain gang
- Aerobic coordinator/instructor
- Clerical work/serve on intramural committee
Students are encouraged to express and implement ideas that might improve the intramural program. This is accomplished via working with the Director of Intramurals and student assistants.
Did you know that:
- Intramurals is a great way to make new friends.
- It is a great way to get some exercise.
- You can develop leadership skills.
- Over 650 students and 30 faculty/staff participate in intramurals.
- Intramurals has a good relationship with the Mount Vernon YMCA,
Mount Vernon High School, and Mount Vernon City Parks.
- Participant awards are given at the end of the year.
To find out more about the intramural program and how you can be
a leader in intramurals, you may contact:
Mount Vernon Nazarene University
800 Martinsburg Road
Mount Vernon, Ohio 43050